Japanese curry is a staple in my home! In the winter I love it after a long day in the snow, and in the summer, there’s nothing better than curry before a night out! And the best part of making curry? I get to recreate the beautiful cooking scenes we see in anime and manga.
This recipe is really simple and focuses on four ingredients: potatoes, carrots, onions, and beef (You can swap the beef for pork, croquettes, tofu, or extra vegetables!).
I hope you all like it, and please comment your favorite animanga curry reference!
|Curry Block||3 to 4 pieces|
|Potatoes||1 large, chunks|
|Carrots||2 medium, chunks|
|Chicken/Beef Bouillon Powder||1 tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 tablespoon|
|Water||Pour until all ingredients are covered|
|Dried chili (optional)||To your preference|
- Chop the potatoes and carrots into chunks and the onions into thin slices. Set them aside and grab your protein of choice.
2. Next, heat up some cooking oil and sear all the surface areas of your protein (skip if you’re using vegetables) and when all the sides are browned, throw in your butter and quickly coat the protein in the oil, butter, and protein juice sauce.
3. Take the protein out of the pot, set aside, and toss in your onions and stir fry them until they’re lightly browned. Once they’re browned, throw in your potatoes and carrots.
4. Throw in your potatoes, carrots, and Bouillon powder and mix well.
5. Sear the vegetables for about 5 minutes on medium to low heat, and then pour in your hot water until the water just covers all the ingredients.
6. Put in your curry blocks and stir the pot until the curry blocks are fully melted. Follow with the soy sauce and honey.
7. Simmer the stew for about 15 minutes on low heat, follow with the dried chilis if desired.
8. Simmer with the lid on for 5 minutes and then it’s ready to serve!
You can serve your curry with white rice, udon noodles, ramen, or even just as a side! Any leftovers are good for about one day, and I recommend sharing the meal with friends and family!